Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languagess
TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and encompasses both TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language).
TESOL is the qualification of choice for English teachers all around the world, for many language schools it is expected that you have a certified TESOL qualification.
Payap we offer two choices for TESOL training and qualification:
- TESOL Certificate
- TESOL Masters Degree (MA)
Payap University offers a four-week intensive program, which covers the structure of spoken and written texts in English, contemporary approaches to language teaching and evaluation, and classroom practice. Classes are held at the International College.
This program is designed and administered by the MA program whose faculty members are highly qualified and experienced ESL teacher trainers.
Full-time three semester program for candidates who already hold a bachelor’s degree. Classes are held at the TESOL department which is on the third floor of the International College, at Payap University.
The MA (TESOL) Department was founded in 1995 when a need for an English-speaking graduate program in the north of Thailand was realized. Today, the program attracts both local and international students who wish to enrich their professional skills. A high standard of spoken and written English is expected from MA (TESOL) students.
The program’s small size affords students the opportunity to receive a high level of attention and support within a genial learning environment.
Name of Curriculum:
Master of Arts Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Department of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International College
The TESOL Certificate and TESOL Masters are designed for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and include TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) for prospective English teachers in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Instruction Language: English
Duration: TESOL Certificate – 4 week intensive | TESOL MA – 3 Semesters Full-time
Visa: Non-Thai citizens full-time student visa (for duration of study)
Cost: The cost of completing the MA (TESOL) program will depend on how long it takes. Fees are payable at the start of each semester, based on the number of courses taken.
Contact the International College admissions team to apply for the TESOL program. Visit the admissions page to find the contact details for the International College.
The applicants are required to have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in English or another language-related subject.
- Specific qualifications are:
- One of the following requirements:
- Have language teaching experience of at least one year, or
- Received certificate in TESOL (at least 120 hours) or a related field, or
- Have at least 6 credits (or the equivalent) of undergraduate course credits in teaching or related to teaching.
- For non-native speakers, one of the following is expected:
- Passed the TOEFL with the score (internet) of at least 79 or a TOEFL score (computer) of at least 211 taken no longer than two years prior to application, or
- Passed the IELTS with a score of at least 6.5 or greater (or an equivalent score on another recognized test) taken not longer than two years prior to application, or
- Passed the CEFR at the level of C1 or higher.
- One of the following requirements:
Location and contact
The TESOL Department is situated at the Graduate and International Studies Building (Pentecost, ‘PC’) on the Mae Khao campus of Payap University.
The Linguistics Department office is located in room PC308 (third floor)
Office hours: Mon-Fri 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Chiang Mai 50000
Admissions Center for all of your application and admissions needs.
Visa information for new and existing students at Payap Uinversity
Student Center for all of your application, studies and campus needs, including visa information, study abroad and other opportunities.
You may want to know the background of the University. Here we look at everything from the mission, beliefs, history to the current president.